Tuesday, January 15, 2013

First Post

Well, Welcome to 'For The Love Of A Wiener Dog', this blog is going to be mainly about my little dog Simon. Who as I type this, is currently laying stretched out on my bed, snoring.

Let me start this blog by telling you a bit of back story on Simon. He is a rescue, and some days it's hard to tell if I rescued him or he rescued me. Simon came to me all the way from Georgia, I live in Michigan. Those sorts of dog transports are rare, like as in, Simon was the first for the lady who fostered him.

When he was placed into foster he was nine, another bad strike in getting him placed. Even the cutest ones can have a hard time finding a 'forever home' after a certain age. It's sad, and I wish I could take them all, but it's how it works I'm told.

Simon also came with baggage. It had been told to his foster mother, that Simon's old family had gotten a new puppy. The new puppy didn't seem to get along with Simon. In stead of making it work, or you know, getting rid of the new puppy. They locked Simon in a crate in a back bedroom, later getting rid of him. I was told I don't want to see his crate he arrived in, I'm sure I don't.

This is the point in the post, I stop and take a second to thank the wonderful woman who did in fact save him first. I do believe if it wasn't for her love of these little four legged babies, I would not have Simon. Why do I say this? Well, going into foster was not his first place. The family that owned him was just going to drop him off at a shelter, and let that be that. A friend of the family, however, knew about DRNA or Dachshund Rescue Of North America and had them try placing him there.

They listened, and he got spotted my his foster mom, who by some great feat, got him to Michigan and then eventually to me.

I was only meant to take his picture for his adoption profile page, at the time, the foster home he was in had a few new fosters needing pictures to go with their adoption pages on DRNA. As a hobby photographer, I said I would do it. It was taking pictures of dogs, why would I say no?

Now, I need to back track a bit, again. A few months before I met Simon, I had lost a dog of eight years to heart failure. It was rapid and unexpected. And after that, I wasn't ready for another dog. If ever.

So, Taking pictures of these new fosters seemed the best way to get a fix of a furry face, and not have to take one home. I was wrong. Way wrong.

I didn't even get to take Simon's picture before he was mine. Or maybe I was his. He did seem pretty sure, even on first meeting, that he had found his 'person'.

Simon will be fifteen this August. Five years, a ton of memories later, I'm so glad I went to take his picture.

And now that he is getting older, and starting to slow down a bit. I wanted to make this blog to share my memories of the little dog who I rescued, or who rescued me.

Emily and Simon

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Simon's story is sooooo similar to my Bonnie's story. Bonnie was 10 years old when her "never" family got a new dog. The two did not get along so it was Bonnie who had to go. I heard about it when this guy I worked with told the story. Fortunately, I knew of Stacey who runs Foxy Doxy Rescue. Bonnie was surrendered and the people told Stacey that Bonnie was a devil dog and who was vicious and fought with their new dog. I have all that in writing from those people. Long story short....we started fostering Bonnie and that lasted all of 2 days. We officially adopted her a week later. We had Madison then, who is now gone. They had their issues but we worked it out. Bonnie is an only "child" now, as it is true, she doesn't play well with other dogs. She is 14 now and is such a little sweet girl. She has learned to receive love and give love. She is my shadow and while maintaining a bit of her own independence, she is almost always no more than petting distance away. Oh, Dolly, friend and sissy of Madison,one of our dachsies had heart trouble too and died young. So you see, our stories are similar.

    Kisses to Simon!

    Sandi, Mark and Bonnie (aka Bunny)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do not understand why people would keep to new dog over the old faithful friend they may have had many years (shake head).
    Does not show children the proper way yo treat a pet thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww - I love your story of rescuing each other! Dachshunds juat have a sneaky way of getting into our hearts! My 4-pack definitely keeps life interesting and there's never a dull moment. Simon - we think you landed in gravy, all right!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!!

    Can't wait to read all about Simon!

    Amorette,Justin, and Porky Pie

    ReplyDelete